top of page
Image by Sumit Chinchane


Arizona Residents : Travel ID Information

Arizona Residents, it's about time to get that Travel ID we have all been hearing about. You'll need it at airports and federal buildings starting next year starting Oct. 1, 2020.

“This date is looming large for Arizonans with driver licenses and ID cards,” said MVD Stakeholder Relations Manager Jennifer Bowser Richards. “We don’t want to see peoples’ travel plans ruined because they don’t have an ID that meets the upcoming new federal TSA checkpoint requirements, but that’s a very real risk for people who don’t get a Travel ID.”

The travel ID would be accepted when boarding a plane without a passport to travel domestically. ADOT MVD urges Arizonans to make an appointment to get their Travel ID. Arizona is one of 37 states giving motorists the option to keep their non-federally complaints licenses or get the Travel ID.

Those traveling out of Phoenix Sky Harbor International, Phoenix Mesa-Gateway, Flagstaff, Tucson International and Yuma International airports will need identification to meet the requirement if they want to get past Transportation Security Administration screeners.

Some federally controlled facilities also will be inaccessible without a travel ID. Arizonans will still need Passports to fly internationally. Don't live in Arizona? You can find your requirements on your states ADOT website.

How to get a Voluntary Travel ID

State officials said the Voluntary Travel IDs are available through the state's Motor Vehicle Division, which is part of ADOT.

The biggest visible difference between a standard driver's license and the Voluntary Travel ID is a gold star in the top right corner of the new cards. Douglas Nick, an ADOT spokesman, said Arizona residents who want to obtain a Voluntary Travel ID can go to and set up an appointment or just walk into the closest MVD building.

"What you need to do is come into an MVD office and bring one document that proves identity, such as a birth certificate or passport, a document that has your Social Security number and two documents that prove Arizona residency," Nick said.

Documents that prove Arizona residency can include utility bills, credit-card or bank statements or insurance policies. The MVD is looking for two documents with a current Arizona address.

The travel ID is $25 and valid for eight years.

Once the appointment is made and proper documents are shown to the MVD, Nick said, it should take about seven to 10 days to get the new ID in the mail.

Minors under 18 will not be required to have the ID if traveling with an adult who carries an ID.

bottom of page